The Senior Project is a graduation requirement for students of Lighthouse CDS and Noyo H.S. Unlike other senior projects, ours is designed to help students 1) develop an appropriate career path and 2) determine how to maneuver down that path to achieve their goals. Students will earn 10 credits for successful completion of their project.
1. Binder: Three-ring binder, front insert, and 2 section dividers are required – “Academics” and “Careers.” Front insert should include the following: your name, the words “Senior Project/Academic and Career Binder,” Noyo High School, and the month and year you plan to graduate. (All self-generated papers for your binder and personal portfolio must be typed, double-spaced, a user-friendly style/font, font size 12, and 1” margins all around.)
2. Job Shadowing - Students choose one possible career from their job searches (see Contents). They will find a local business/agency/company that employs workers in that field and complete an interview questionnaire and an observation questionnaire.
3. Career Portfolio - includes selected items from academic/career binder.
4. PowerPoint presentation - includes Pre-project plans, career possibilities,
job shadowing experience, inventory of skills, education plan, concrete plan, and conclusion.
5. Oral Presentation of Senior Project including PowerPoint presentation.
A. Pre-Project Questionnaire
B. Academic Binder
2. Student status report including CAHSEE scores
3. Awards and certificates received for academic achievement,
attendance, school service, or artistic performance/participation.
4. Education Pays questionnaire
5. The Key to Your Future: California Community Colleges questionnaire
6. Visit College of the Redwoods with the senior group and complete the questionnaire. The visit will include a tour of the campus, registration procedures, financial aid information, etc.
7. Research at least three colleges, trade schools, certificate programs,
etc. Complete one form for each school/program.
8. One (1) completed college application
9. Financial Aid presentation by Marcia Williams of C of R and response questionnaire.
10. One (1) completed FAFSA and CAL-GRANT (financial aid application)
C. Career Binder
1. Interest Profiler from www.cacareerzone.com.
2. Career/Job Searches (3)
3. Personal Data worksheet
4. a. Personal References worksheet
b. Letter of Recommendation questionnaire
c. Requests for letter of recommendation (3)
d. Letters of recommendation (3)
5. a. Resume questionnaires: Looking Good on Paper; Rules for Resumes; What Can I Say About My Skill; Most Important Skills for Job Applicants.
b. Completed Resume
6. a. Applications on Paper questionnaire
b. 2 completed job applications – 1 from the packet, 1 that student gets and complete from a local business where you would consider working.
7. Interview techniques/strategies:
a. Cover Letter questionnaire
b. Completed cover letter
c. Before the Interview, Illegal Interview Questions, and Making a First Impression questionnaires/worksheets
d. The Job Interview questionnaire
e. After the Interview questionnaire and thank you letter (1)
f. Why I Didn’t Hire You questionnaire