MISSION AND GOALS
The Noyo High School Internship program is designed to afford students the opportunity to “test-drive” career possibilities. By participating in an internship, the student can gain hands-on experience and enhance his/her knowledge of a career field.
• generally involve a student working in a professional setting under the supervision and monitoring of practicing professionals/experienced workers
• provide students with academic credit
• incorporate productive work experience and related classroom assignments
Internships can help you:
• learn about a career field from the inside and assist you in determining whether it is the right career for you
• become more familiar with specific work functions and learn career-related skills
• develop confidence in your abilities
• practice your communication and teamwork skills
• gather evidence that you have initiative, are reliable, and have a sense of responsibility
• add a valuable addition to your resume
• open the door to a job offer or a recommendation about the next steps you should take on your career path
• A contract/agreement will be entered into by the student intern and mentor/business stating the details of the internship.
• Internships will last a minimum of 3 months in order for the student to earn academic credit, but may continue after that if agreed upon by both parties.
• Work schedules/times will be determined by the student intern and the mentor, and will be based on student availability and mentor needs.
• Student intern responsibilities will range from observation to training to hands-on experience. This, too, will be based on student intern desires as well as what the mentor is willing and legally able to provide.
• Student interns will complete weekly job-related assignments in the classroom, and mentors will be asked to complete student intern evaluations on a bi-monthly basis.